Friday, September 24, 2010

Air France

Air France is probably the second biggest tease in music, second only to Dr. Dre's new album (which will probably come out when I'm 30 and don't give a shit anymore).  Air France have only released two EPs in their musical career thus far, resulting in a grand total 10 songs between the two.  In 2006, they came out with On Trade Winds, while in 2008 they came out with No Way Down.  This means that for the past year and a half or so, I've been listening to about 40 minutes of the same stuff.  40 minutes of music between two releases to sum up a career.  Why would they dangle such incredible music in front of me, only to not give more?  Torturous!

The problem is that I can't even complain, cause the stuff they put out is really, really, really good.  In terms of indie electronic bands, I put them up there with the Cut Copys and Passion Pits of the musical soundscape. So when I first heard that they may be releasing a new album this year, I was absolutely ecstatic.  Finally!!  A new album from Air France!!  Since that fateful day, I haven't been able to find that webpage again.  It's almost like it disappeared from the face of the earth.  I've frantically tried searching for any new information I could find on them, but it has all turned up empty.  No information on anything new, no information on any future endeavors.  Truth is, they're a complete mystery to me.

But like I said, I can forgive them, cause I truly love the music they put out.  On Trade Winds carries a Caribbean theme about it, with tropical-dance elements that have a very unique sound.  It's very bubbly, summery, and upbeat...immensely catchy.  No Way Down is very similar in terms of its upbeat nature, but ditches the tropical ingredients that made up On Trade Winds, instead it's much more the mainstream dream dance.  That's the best way I can describe No Way Down, a dream.  Once I'm done listening to it, I feel as though I've awoken from a fantastic dream and I'm ready to take on the day.  "Collapsing At Your Doorstep" probably says it best, that it's "Sort of like a dream"..."No, better."

Below I have posted two songs, "No Excuses" from No Way Down and "Karibien" from On Trade Winds.  Since there is not much of it, I've posted both albums here for you to download.  I will be away from a computer this weekend so there probably won't be another post  until next week.  So I hope you enjoy what I leave you with.  Happy weekends everyone!

 No Excuses

 Karibien

No comments:

Post a Comment