Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Macpodz

I'll put it to you bluntly: UConn is in the middle of nowhere.  It's farm country.  I am not kidding when I tell you there are times I wake up to the smell of cow manure drifting into my window.  On extra special occasions when the wind is blowing in the right direction, the entire campus is blanketed in a scent of animal feces (my random transfer roommate last year loved these days).  Due to its seclusion, UConn usually only gets around one big name concert for a semester, so in most instances you have to cross your fingers and hope it's someone good (this semester's fall concert was wasted on Ludacris).  Also, since there isn't anything in the area, there aren't any venues to explore and the best you'll get is some unknown band playing at a local bar.  Basically, there isn't much going on music-wise here.  That's why I was ecstatic to see a band called The Macpodz was playing at a nearby pub tonight; to have such good band play in such a small venue is a rare occurrence, this never happens!


I was introduced to The Macpodz by one of my best friends at Ohio University during my freshman year, and he was obsessed with these guys.  One of the things I loved about this friend is that whenever I'd go to one of his house parties, he'd play The Macpodz instead of the usual run-of-the-mill stuff.  It was awesome to see such a change.  The Macpodz are self-described "bebop funk" and are closely associated with the jam band moe., who they have opened for multiple times.  They're fast paced, upbeat, and have a heavy reliance on the trumpet.  They also have some obvious parallels with Jethro Tull with the use of the flute (my friend referred to it as "flute beat-boxing")....and The Macpodz use it very well.  I've also heard they put on a stellar show, which I won't be able to see tonight cause the pub is 21+.  Fuck that.

Below I've posted "You Got Me" and "Ascention".  Hope you like the grooves.

 You Got Me

 Ascention

You can download these and more here.

1 comment: